Company also announces May 9 webinar to help educators teach literacy with success
DALLAS, May 04, 2017 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Voyager Sopris Learning® is providing educators with additional opportunities to raise literacy achievement in the classroom with the introduction of two new professional development solutions: Connecting LETRS to the Classroom and Fundamentals of Literacy Instruction (FOLI).
Jeffrey A. Elliott, President, Voyager Sopris Learning, said the new products—one designed for K–12 classrooms, the other for grades K–3—have the same goal. “Improved literacy translates to lifelong success for students, and these new professional development solutions help deepen educator knowledge," Elliott said. "Both are designed to help educators teach literacy concepts in the classroom and ensure improvement in students’ reading abilities.”
In a related announcement, Elliott said Voyager Sopris Learning will host a webinar at 1 p.m. EDT on Tuesday (May 9) entitled “Learn the Ropes for Reading and Teach Literacy with Success.”
The webinar will be co-presented by Dr. Caroline Gore, Literacy Coach for Caddo Parish Public Schools in Shreveport, Louisiana, and Toni Backstrom, Director of Strategic Solutions for Voyager Sopris Learning. Caddo Parish is an early adopter of FOLI and a longtime user of Voyager Sopris Learning’s K–12 professional development series LETRS (Language Essentials for Teachers of Reading and Spelling), which instructs and prepares educators for the challenging work of teaching literacy.
To register for the webinar, which will use information from Dr. Hollis Scarborough’s “Reading Rope,” visit www.voyagersopris.com/webinar-series/2017.
Here is a closer look at the two new professional development products from Voyager Sopris Learning:
• Connecting LETRS to the Classroom is a series of 15 one-hour online sessions that builds on and reinforces the knowledge of effective classroom reading instruction teachers acquired in their LETRS professional development training. The sessions will allow teachers to:
- Work at their own pace with time for reflection and to collaborate with colleagues;
- View modeling of research-proven teacher practices and routines that support effective instruction;
- Apply and learn strategies while using student work from their own classrooms; and
- Gain confidence in their ability and knowledge as they progress.
• Fundamentals of Literacy Instruction is professional development for K–3 reading teachers who want to implement the components and principles of scientifically based reading instruction. Teachers review the theory and research behind literacy instruction and apply that knowledge to develop explicit, practical lesson plans that can be immediately implemented in their classrooms. FOLI will:
- Introduce the science of how children learn to read;
- Illustrate the importance of oral language, phoneme awareness, phonics, fluency, vocabulary, and comprehension in reading instruction; and
- Demonstrate how to put these concepts to work in the classroom.
For more information on Voyager Sopris Learning, visit www.voyagersopris.com.
About Voyager Sopris Learning
Voyager Sopris Learning® is an education partner committed to unlocking the full potential of every teacher and every student. We believe that the best way to meet and exceed standards in education is to address the underlying systems of teaching and learning, and to nurture those systems at their most fundamental levels. Our programs and services are based on research and classroom evidence, ensuring they are easy to implement, teacher friendly and effective. We offer a variety of digital and blended instructional tools, programs, and professional development, all of which are designed to help every teacher deliver nothing short of the highest-quality instruction to every student. Voyager Sopris Learning is a business unit of Cambium Learning® Group, Inc. (NASDAQ:ABCD), based in Dallas, Texas.
For more information, visit www.voyagersopris.com, or find us on Facebook or Twitter.
About Cambium Learning Group, Inc.
Cambium Learning® Group is a leading educational solutions and services company committed to helping all students reach their full potential. Cambium Learning accomplishes this goal by providing evidence-based solutions and expert professional services to empower educators and raise the achievement levels of all students. The company’s award-winning brands include: Learning A-Z® (www.learninga-z.com), ExploreLearning® (www.explorelearning.com), Kurzweil Education® (www.kurzweiledu.com), and Voyager Sopris Learning® (www.voyagersopris.com), which, together, provide breakthrough technology solutions for students and teachers—including best-in-class intervention and supplemental instructional programs; gold-standard professional development; valid and reliable assessments; and products that enable access to learning for all students. Cambium Learning Group, Inc. (NASDAQ:ABCD), is based in Dallas, Texas. For more information, visit www.cambiumlearning.com.
Voyager Sopris Learning, Inc.
Ileana Rowe, Senior Vice President of Marketing
Thompson Drake Public Relations
Cambium Learning Group, Inc.
Barbara Benson, Chief Financial Officer
Voyager Sopris Learning, Inc.